Materials for Course Reserves:
- Are selected by SJSU faculty.
- May be either SJSU Library-owned or the instructor's personal material.
- Cannot be checked out by patrons with temporary borrower status.
- Can only be checked out at King Library and must be returned to the King Library Course Reserves Desk.
- As of Fall 2013, Electronic Reserves material will now be located in the Course's Learning Management System i.e. Canvas, D2L.
Public library card holders in the new King Library will:
- Have access to the University Library-owned materials on Course Reserves, subject to the same limitations, terms and conditions as University students.
- Not have access to an instructor’s personal material or Electronic Reserves.
Reserves have four loan periods: 2 Hour, 2 Hour In-House Use, 1 Day and 3 day. These loan periods are designated by each faculty member who places the material on reserve. Please consult your checkout receipt for the proper return time of reserve material.
- 2 Hour In-House Use material may only be used in the library
- Regular 2 Hour loans, 1 Day and 3 Day material may be used outside of the library
- Regular 2 Hour loans may be kept overnight if checked out less than two hours before the library closes
Overdues & Fines
Fines for reserve items are:
- 2 hour and 24 hour loans: $1.00 per hour to a maximum of $20.00 per item
- 3 day loans: $5.00 per day to a maximum of $20.00 per item
Reserve fines accrue even during hours when the library is closed. On holidays, however, fines will not accrue. Professors will be notified if material for their courses is excessively overdue. The fee for replacement of lost books is a set replacement charge of $80.00 plus accrued fines and a replacement fee, if applicable.
Holds & Renewals
Course Reserves material is available on a first-come-first served basis. Patrons cannot renew or place holds on reserve material. Patrons who wish to continue using reserve material after it becomes due must wait at least 15 minutes before checking out the material again in order to give other users access to the material.
Returning Reserves Materials
Course Reserves are only checked out at King Library, and must be returned to the King Library Course Reserves Desk. These materials should be placed in the Reserves designated book drop at the Circulation & Reserves Desk, or handed to a staff member at that desk. Course Reserve items returned to any other location will not be checked in until received at the King Reserves Desk, and any late fines resulting from improper return of Reserve materials are the responsibility of the borrower.