Statement of Policy & Text
Each user of the SJSU and SJPL Library has:
- One unique patron record in the patron database.
- One library card to check out material from the SJSU Library or at any of the San Jose Public Library branches.
Library cards are obtained or replaced at the King Library circulation desk or at any of the San Jose Public Library branches.
Need for the Policy
Library users have certain distinct borrowing privileges depending on their current status as University staff/faculty/student, SJSU staff, or general public, and that status may change from semester to semester or throughout the year.
A one record/one card policy does the following:
- Minimizes duplication of patron records and limits errors when establishing borrowing privileges.
- Avoids having users obtain a new library card each time their status changes.
Requirements & Guidelines
At the beginning of each University session, enrollment verification will be downloaded from CMS to determine which Library customers have University faculty, staff, or student status.
- All users who are not currently enrolled at SJSU or employed by either the University or the Library are designated as Public Library customers.
- Exceptions due to enrollment issues (i.e., Master''s candidates, students completing pending coursework, etc.) are handled on an individual basis by University Access Services Staff.
- Patrons may only use their own library card to access library resources including public access computers, music listening rooms, and checking out materials. The only exception is parents using their children''s card and vice versa.
All, especially Access Services.
|Reviewed and approved by:||Signature/Name||Date of Approval|
|KMT||Ruth Kifer, John Wenzler, Mary Nino, Luann Budd, Anne Cain, Neil Rufino, Sandra Stewart, Katie DuPraw||6/10/13|
History & Dates
Category of Policy : User Services
Author(s): Julie Kowaleski Ward
Authorized by: Core Team
Date Written: 7/22/02
Date Effective: 8/1/03
Date(s) of Revision(s): 2/25/05, 6/10/13