Statement of Policy & Text
San José State University Library''s current children''s collection is co-located with and supplements the San José Public Library''s circulating children''s collection in the King Library.
The combined circulating children''s collections is located in the King Library''s First Floor Children''s Collection.
Older SJSU children''s materials are located with SJSU Children''s historic collections.
Need for the Policy
Co-location is needed to:
- Avoid fragmentation of the children''s circulating collection.
- Provide ease of access by customers to similar types of material.
- Facilitate shelving and retrieval of materials by library staff.
Using "current" as the determining factor for co-location:
- Increases the usefulness of the collection to the public.
- Allows older university items to be included in SJSU children''s historic collections.
Requirements & Guidelines
The first floor circulating children''s collection consists of:
- The entire SJPL Library''s existing circulating children''s collection that includes:
- Parenting books
- Award-winners and other classic titles
- SJSU Library''s current circulating children''s collection that includes:
- Fiction published within the last 15 years
- Nonfiction published within the last 10 years
- Award-winners and other classic titles regardless of publication date
All, especially Circulation,. Cataloging and Youth Services
|Reviewed and approved by:||Signature/Name||Date of Approval|
History & Dates
Category of Policy:Collection Management
Author(s): SJPL Youth Services Coordinator, Deborah Erwin
Authorized by: Core Team, 11/20/02
Date Written: 10/8/02
Date Effective: 8/01/02
Date(s) of Revision(s): 3/1/05; 4/04/06