Statement of Policy & Text
San José State University provides laptop and iPad computers and accessories to eligible members of the SJSU community through the SJSU Student Computing Service for use exclusively within the King Library.
Limitations on the use of SJSU laptops and iPads are specified in the Requirements & Guidelines section below.
Need for the Policy
The laptop and iPad loan program of the SJSU Student Computing Service augments the instructional computer offerings available to the SJSU community at the King Library as distinct from desktop computers that are available to the general public.
The SJSU Student Computing Service is funded through the Instructionally Related Activities (IRA) fee. The IRA fee is paid by currently enrolled SJSU students. Consequently, the services offered by the SCS are provided exclusively to currently enrolled SJSU students and to staff and faculty engaged in supporting student learning.
Requirements & Guidelines
Eligible borrowers are:
- Currently enrolled SJSU students.
- Currently employed SJSU faculty and staff.
- All eligible borrowers must present valid SJSU photo identification (Tower card), possess a current library account, and have unpaid library fines of $10.00 or less. A second photo identification must be presented if requested for confirmation purposes.
Laptops and iPads may not be borrowed by:
- The general public.
- Students enrolled in educational institutions other than SJSU but not concurrently enrolled in SJSU.
- Persons who have attended SJSU in the past or may be attending SJSU in the future but who are not currently enrolled.
- Otherwise eligible borrowers who have unpaid library fines in excess of $10.00.
- Otherwise eligible persons who have lost their laptop borrowing privileges through violations of this or another applicable policy.
Materials in the SJSU laptop and iPad loan program:
- Are owned by SJSU.
- Are renewable subject to availability and time restrictions.
- Are subject to holds or reservations.
Loan period is:
- 4 hours for designated devices – 7 days for other designated devices.
- No laptops or iPads may be checked out within 30 minutes of SCS closing time.
- All devices are due 30 minutes prior to regular SCS closing time regardless of the time or day checked out. E.g., 4 hour devices are due 30 minutes prior to SCS closing even if checked out an hour before. 7 day devices are due 30 minutes before SCS closing on the day that the device is due.
Check-out limits for laptops are:
- One laptop per eligible borrower at a time.
- After the last allowed renewal, the user may NOT borrow the same device for the next 2 hours. For example, the borrower may return a laptop and borrow an iPad or a different laptop at that time (depending on availability), but would have to wait 2 hours before they can borrow the same laptop. This prevents users from retaining a device indefinitely and gives others a chance to borrow SCS equipment.
Fines for Laptop, iPad, and accessories:
- $10.00 per hour or fraction thereof for late returns of any 4-hour equipment.
- $100.00 per day or fraction thereof for late returns of any 7-day equipment.
- $1600.00 is the maximum fine per laptop.
- $1000.00 is the maximum fine per iPad.
- Maximum Replacement fee for a laptop is $1600.00.
- Maximum Replacement fee for a iPad is $1000.00.
Maximum Replacement fees for laptop accessories are as follows:
- battery, laptop $120.00
- headphones, $25.00
- mouse $40.00
- power adapter, Laptop $40.00
Replacement fees for iPad accessories are as follows:
- power adapter, iPad $40.00
- USB cable, iPad/Power Adapter $20.00
- Transparent Screen Protector, iPad $25.00
- Smart Cover, iPad $45.00
- Bluetooth wireless Keyboard, iPad $75.00
- Soft Carry Case, iPad $35.00
All damages will be charged on the basis of repair or replacement costs and may result in the loss of SCS borrowing privileges. Charges will be applied to the borrowers library account and must be settled as soon as possible – excessive fees may be turned over to a collection agency for settlement. Excessive fee’s left unsettled may impact a students graduation or diploma status with SJSU. SCS borrowing privileges will be suspended until those fines are paid. Payment of fines does not guarantee that an individual’s borrowing privileges will be restored. Repeat offenders may be permanently banned from borrowing.
All, especially SJSU staff.
|Reviewed and approved by:||Signature/Name||Date of Approval|
|SJPL Supervising Librarian||Lisa Rosenblum||3/28/05|
|SJSU Associate Dean||Jo Bell Whitlatch||3/28/05|
|KMT||Ruth Kifer, John Wenzler, Mary Nino, Luann Budd, Anne Cain, Neil Rufino, Sandra Stewart, Katie DuPraw||2/21/2013|
History & Dates
Category of Policy: Administrative/Operations & User Services
Author(s): Media Svcs & Laptop Lab Coordinator, Beth McCullough
Authorized by: UMT
Date Written: 3/4/05
Date(s) of Revision(s): 6/26/12, 2/21/2013