Statement of Policy & Text
San José Public Library recognizes its role as a source of community information. Because of space limitations, however, the Library must set limits and priorities for distribution or display of printed materials (flyers, brochures, posters, etc.) within the Library''s facilities.
COMMUNITY INFORMATION BULLETIN BOARD
The Community Information Bulletin Board may be used for posting the following types of information:
- Announcements of forthcoming or continuing educational, social, cultural, or entertainment activities.
- Fliers, brochures, announcements, or schedules distributed or sponsored by a nonprofit organization, group or agency, or by any federal, state, or local government agency pertaining to services provided by government to citizens.
- Educational, social, or cultural services directories facilitating contact between citizens and organizations.
- “Community Switchboard” -type information (i.e., Hotline, Suicide Prevention, etc.).
- Any appropriate San José Public Library, City of San José or Library System publications or posters, including employment information.
Need for the Policy
Neighborhood communities view the branch library as much more than a repository of information and knowledge. It is seen as part of the neighborhood landscape, something that belongs to them, as well as a meaningful link to city government. The library serves its users as a center of community activity, news, and civic developments. The providing of community bulletin boards is a way to meet this need.
Requirements & Guidelines
However, if the Branches/Units decide to establish a Community Information Bulletin Board, the following guidelines are to be followed:
- Bulletin boards are to be used for posting single copies of an item. Information Tables are used for multiple copies of items.
- Bulletin Boards are to be kept neat and organized. One staff member or volunteer should be assigned the responsibility for maintaining the board in this condition.
- This same staff member or volunteer should be assigned the responsibility for receiving, initialing and dating items for posting, and removing items that are out-of-date. Items that take up an unreasonable amount of space or announce events months in the future may not be accepted.
- Items shall not be posted on adjacent walls, windows, or doors.
- The library reserves the right to remove any posted item.
Branches & General Collections.
|Reviewed and approved by:||Signature/Name||Date of Approval|
|Assistant Director||Ned Himmel|
History & Dates
Category of Policy: Administrative/Operations
Author(s): SJPL Assistant Director: Ned Himmel
Authorized by: Associate Dean and Supervising Librarian, 10/05/03
Date Written: 10/03
Date Effective: 10/15/03
Date(s) of Revision(s): 05/18/04dk; 2/23/05, 12/21/07