Statement of Policy & Text
The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Library Children's Room is located on the 1st Floor in a large area specifically designed and reserved for the use of children under the age of 18 and their caregivers, or customers using the children's collection, seeking assistance from library staff or attending Children's Room programs at the discretion of library staff.
The Children's Room provides resources specifically for children, including computers with Internet Access for children under 13 years of age and their accompanying caregivers, and regular and special programs targeting the needs of specific age groups.
Need for the Policy
The King Library is committed to providing an inviting, safe and separate space for children to engage in individual and group activities responsive to their needs and has established the Children's Room for this purpose.
Requirements & Guidelines
- The Children's Room is open according to the posted schedule.
- Adult customers unaccompanied by a child are restricted from use of the Children's Room unless using the Children's collection of library materials, seeking assistance from library staff or attending programs.
- Library users should respect the educational needs, rights and privacy of those using the Children's room. Library staff monitors and resolves behavior problems. (See References below for Children-Unattended Policy, Food and Drink Policy and Customer Conduct Policy)
- Use of the Children's Room elevator is restricted for use by customers visiting the Mezzanine Exploration Room or for disabled access to the SJSU Student Learning and Research Commons only.
- Use of the Children's Room restrooms is reserved for children and customers using the Children's Room collection, or attending Children's Room programs.
LMT+ (1/9/12); KMT (1/19/12)
|Reviewed and approved by:||Signature/Name||Date of Approval|
|Ned Himmel, Interim Assistant Library Director||1/19/12|
History & Dates
Category of Policy: Facilities
Author(s): Carol da Silva
Authorized by: LMT+
Date Written: 12/22/11
Date Effective: 1/23/12
Date(s) of Revision(s):