Statement of Policy & Text
The library is not responsible for personal items left in the library by customers. When an item is left in the library by a customer, a reasonable attempt will be made to return the lost item to its owner.
Need for the Policy
Customers often leave their property in the library, then return to attempt to recover it. This policy will establish guidelines and criteria for dealing with these items.
Requirements & Guidelines
- This policy applies to San Jose Public Library branches only. A separate Lost and Found policy and procedure has been established for the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library.
- In most cases, items that are lost and found in the library or turned in to library personnel by the public are held for two weeks, then disposed of.
- Hazardous and perishable items are discarded immediately.
- Items of obvious value, including (but not limited to) wallets, cell phones, jewelry, cash, and credit cards, are held in a secure location.
- If the owner of the item can be determined, staff will attempt to contact the owner in a timely manner.
- If the owner of a Lost and Found item visits the library and satisfactorily identifies the item, the item will be returned to its owner.
- If items are not claimed in a timely manner, they are disposed of by being discarded, turned over to the Police Department, or donated to charity, as appropriate.
San Jose Public Library Staff
|Reviewed and approved by:||Signature/Name||Date of Approval|
History & Dates
Category of Policy :User Services
Author(s): SJPL Library Assistant, Gayle Davis
Date(s) of Revision(s): 3/8/07 GD