Statement of Policy & Text
San Jose State University has the right to place any library materials within the University Library Collections into the Course Reserve Collection.
Need for the Policy
Course Reserves support the instructional requirements of specific courses offered by SJSU. They ensure supplementary course materials that are assigned by SJSU students during the designated semester.
Requirements & Guidelines
Materials for Academic Reserves:
- Are selected by SJSU faculty.
- May be either SJSU-owned, the instructor's personal material, or online/electronic formatted material.
- Are not renewable and holds are not allowed.
- Cannot be checked out by patrons with Limited borrower status
- Can only be checked out at King Library and must be returned to the King Library Course Reserves Desk.
Loan Periods for Course Reserves are established based on the type of material and the urgency of the need. Load periods are limited to one of the following:
- 2 hours
- 1 day
- 3 days
- 7 days
Check-out limits for Course Reserves material are:
- 2 books/CDs/Videos and/or
- 5 personal folders
Fines: Course Reserves materials are fined based on load periods:
- $1 per hour for 2 hour loans.
- $5 per day for 1- to 3-day loans.
- $20.00 is the maximum charge per item.
Replacement Fee for Course Reserves materials is $80.00 plus accrued fines.
Recall of materials: Any SJSU-owned library materials may be recalled from any King Library user for placement on Course Reserve.
Public library card holders in the new King Library will:
- Have access to the University-owned Course Reserve print and audiovisual collection, subject to the same limitations, terms and conditions as University students.
- Not have access to an instructor’s personal material or Electronic Reserves.
All, especially Circulation/Reserves Staff.
|Reviewed and approved by:
||Date of Approval
|University Library Board
History & Dates
Category of Policy :User Services
Author(s): University Access Services Manager: Julie Kowalewski-Ward
Authorized by: KMT
Date Written: 7/22/02
Date Effective: 8/01/03
Date(s) of Revision(s): 9/26/02, 2/23/05, 02/23/10gd,3/2014
A. Operating Agreement - Check Sections 2.1.29 & 5.1.2