Statement of Policy & Text
Consumption of food and drink is allowed in designated areas of the King Library under specific conditions. (See Requirements and Guidelines below.)
Need for the Policy
- To preserve library resources and protect library facilities, the King Library must regulate the consumption of food and beverages in public areas of the building.
- Appropriate signs are posted and maintained throughout the Library to clearly explain the Food and Drink Policy.
Requirements & Guidelines
- Specified food and drink items are allowed in public areas of the King Library if these items are consumed responsibly.
- Food must be snacks or wrapped items that are consumed by an individual.
- No group meals (e.g. pizza parties) are allowed in public areas.
- Covered drinks are allowed on all floors, but only if they are in closed containers, such as covered cups, soda cans, or water bottles.
- Food may not be consumed or left set out while using library computers. Covered drinks are allowed.
- In Program Rooms (e.g. Special Collections, Rooftop Terrace, Cultural Heritage Center, and others), food and drink are permissible for special functions, authorized by the Library.
- King Library users must:
- Immediately report spills to staff.
- Dispose of trash in appropriate containers.
All Library employees and library security personnel.
|Reviewed and approved by:||Signature/Name||Date of Approval|
|University Library Board||3/10/03|
|Ruth Kifer, Rae Ann Stahl, Mary Nino, Luann Budd, Jill Bourne, Neil Rufino, Katie DuPraw, Angie Miraflor, Jon Worona||
History & Dates
Category of Policy: Administration/Operations
Author(s): SJPL Supervising Librarian: Lisa Rosenblum
SJSU Associate Dean: Jo Bell Whitlatch
Authorized by: Core Team; University Library Board
Date Written: 3/10/03
Date Effective: 8/1/03
Date(s) of Revision(s): 7/31/03, 12/12/03; 2/23/05; 4/28/15