The Cultural Heritage Center is made up of three collections located on the fifth floor of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library. These collections — Africana, Asian American and Chicano — support academic programs at SJSU, and each collection is supported by its respective Resource Center Advisory Committee.
The intent of the three collections is to accomplish the following:
- To create a nurturing academic support center for students.
- To encourage the development of information literacy skills to help students become lifelong learners who can access, evaluate, and effectively use all library resources.
- To foster in students a deeper understanding of and pride in their respective cultures and an appreciation and understanding of other cultures.
- To give all SJSU students a greater appreciation and understanding of the history and culture of the Africana, Asian American and Chicano communities.
- To provide a collection of comparative multicultural resources to facilitate research between cultures.
- To work collaboratively with their respective communities in San José to create programming and fundraising opportunities.