Loaner Equipment Services:
SJSU Student Computing Services (SCS) provides Laptop, MacBook Pro and iPad loaner equipment (as well as accessories) to SJSU students, faculty and staff, at no charge, for either 4 hours at a time, or 7 days (see Borrowing Terms & Conditions for details).
- See list of loaner equipment available and software installed on those devices.
Extend your 4 hour loan period (weekly loans cannot be renewed) by:
- Visiting SCS on the 4th floor, at the top of the escalator.
- Calling SCS at 1-408-808-2470.
(NOTE: Loans CANNOT be extended through e-mail requests).
Please! Save your work often!
If you are using a loaner laptop or Macbook Pro, you should save your work frequently (to a USB device or in the cloud). If you are using an iPad, save your work in the cloud (e.g., Google Docs, DropBox, etc. - you should also verify it is actually being saved). Upon restarting your borrowed laptop or Mac, any files or programs you deposited on the machine will be deleted.
ATTENTION BORROWERS: SCS DOES NOT Hold or Reserve any of its equipment! All SCS equipment loans are first-come-first-served. If you call ahead to see if there are any iPads or laptops available, we can tell you what is currently on the shelf, but we CANNOT HOLD OR RESERVE any equipment for you.
SCS Consultation services*:
SCS provides in-person, by phone (1-408-808-2470), and e-mail (library-SCSfirstname.lastname@example.org) computing consultation services to SJSU students, faculty and staff seeking assistance with the following:
- The use of SCS laptops, MacBook Pros and iPads, as well as use of the apps installed on them or any of the accessories we loan for them. (NOTE: Extensive tutoring will not be provided. When in depth training is required, the user will be instructed to visit the Student Technology Trainer in the library - next door to SCS - or read the App’s Help instructions and User Guides.)
- Troubleshooting remote access to the Library's electronic resources (for example, accessing the libraries many research databases from outside the library).
- Configuring personal laptops and iPads for use with the Library's wireless network. (NOTE: SCS staff will not modify your personal laptop or mobile device (e.g. iPads, iPhones, iPods, Android computing devices, etc. – we are not a repair center, but we will assist you in making those changes yourself.)
- Use of library public desktop computer stations -- including making and canceling a library computer or study room reservation through the library's Reserve-a-Computer system.
- Resetting your Library PIN.
- Using the campus wireless network.
- Activating and using SJSUOne accounts (Note: SCS cannot reset your SJSUOne password, only the University Helpdesk can do that. If you come to SCS because you forgot your password AND the answers to your personal questions, you will be referred to the University Helpdesk in Clark Hall for the assistance you need.)
- Problem reports: SCS will document and relay reports of problems with SCS equipment, Library public computers, electronic resources and wireless network access, to the Library’s Information Technology Unit.
SCS Does NOT perform:
Computer repairs, data recovery or software purchases. Such issues will be referred to appropriate University service centers and/or associated vendors. For additional information you can try the links below:
- The Associated Students Computer Services Center (ASCSC) (1.408.924.6263) is a one hundred station computer lab located on the upper level of the Student Union and (for a fee) offers Computer Repairs, Printing, Laptop Rentals and FAXing.
- Spartan Book Store
* SCS services are available during regular King Library operating hours AND during extended study hours, until 10:00 PM, Mon – Thur during regular semester operations (does not apply during Summer, Winter or Spring breaks). NOTE: Equipment will not be loaned after 9:30 PM, to facilitate all devices being returned before the center actually closes it's doors.