- Equipment is available to borrow during regular King Library hours and extended study hours.
- Checkout periods are either 4 hours or 7 days.
- The equipment must be returned before SCS closes for the day.
- Equipment loans are subject to availability.
Terms and Conditions
- The borrower accepts complete financial responsibility for all equipment borrowed.
- The borrower may not replace the operating system or modify the machine in any way.
- The borrower will reimburse San José State University for the repair or replacement costs for lost, stolen, or damaged equipment.
- You have full administrative control of laptops while they are in your possession, and may install any app you need.
- However, do not install applications that require a restart to take effect because ALL DATA, APPLICATIONS, ETC. WILL BE DELETED WHEN THE LAPTOP IS SHUT DOWN OR RESTARTED!
- Everything you install or download to an iPad stays on the iPad until you return it to SCS.
- PLEASE REMOVE YOUR APPLE iCLOUD ACCOUNT AND PASSCODE BEFORE RETURNING THE iPAD. The iPad will not be checked in until iPad can be successfully re-imaged.
NOTE: Using your Apple ID to listen to iTunes on SCS devices will use up one of the 10 "associated devices" that Apple allows you sign in to at one time. Refer to Apple's "Terms and Conditions" for more details.
- The device may leave the library but must be returned on time.
- Devices checked out less than 4 hours from closing time will be due 30 minutes before SCS closes.
- Four-hour loans may be renewed as many times as desired within a calendar day.
- Late fees for 4-hour loans are $10 per hour or any fraction thereof. Fines will accrue until the device is returned.
- It is expected that these devices will leave the library, but they must be returned on time.
- Devices must be returned back at the library 30 minutes before SCS on the day the device is due.
- One-week loans may not be renewed. If you wish to check out another one-week device you must bring the device back to SCS and wait two hours before checking out another device.
- You may call to see if a device is available, but we will NOT hold devices for you.
- Late fees for 7-day loans are $25 per day or any fraction thereof. Fines will accrue until the device is returned.
Fines for MacBook Pros, Windows Laptops, iPad and Accessories:
- $10 per hour for late returns of any 4-hour device
- $1 per hour for late returns of any 4-hour accessory
- $25 per day for late returns of any 7-day equipment
- Apple and Android VGA-display adapters $35
- White-Board (w/ Screen Capture) USB cable $20
- Scientific Calculators $30
- Graphing Calculators $140
- Financial Calculators $40
- Standard Calculators $10
Maximum Replacement fees:
- Windows laptop or MacBook Pro $1600
- iPad $1000
- Laptop battery, $120
- Headphones, $25
- Mouse $20
- Power adapter, PC laptop $40
- Power adapter, Macbook Pro $80
- Power adapter, iPad $40
- USB cable for iPad $20
- iPad Smart Cover $45
- Bluetooth wireless Keyboard for iPad $75
- Soft Carry Case for iPad $35
Charges will be applied to the borrower's library account. Excessive fees may impact a student's graduation or diploma status with SJSU. SCS borrowing privileges will be suspended until those fines are paid.
DO NOT leave a MacBook Pro, Windows laptop or iPad unattended for any length of time. If you must leave the area, no matter how briefly, take the device with you. You are responsible if someone else steals the device when it is unattended.
In an emergency, if you are instructed to leave the building, take the device with you and return it later.
The borrower agrees to comply with all applicable SJSU and King Library policies regarding acceptable computer use. Please refer to the Library's "Policies and Procedures" website for details.