- Items are available to borrow in person from SCS during our operating hours.
- Checkout periods are either 1 day (24 hours) or 1 week (7 days).
- The equipment must be returned no later than the item’s due date and time.
- Equipment loans are subject to availability. SCS cannot control or predict availability of any item or item type.
Terms and Conditions
- The borrower accepts complete financial responsibility for all equipment borrowed. Replacement costs for items stocked in SCS can be found below under "Maximum Replacement Fees."
- The borrower may not replace the operating system or modify the machine in any way.
- The borrower will reimburse San José State University for the repair or replacement costs for lost, stolen, or damaged equipment.
- Failure to return SCS equipment will result in a hold being placed on your university record.
- Any items borrowed must remain under the control of the borrower for the duration of the loan and may not be transferred to any other person for any reason.
- You have full administrative control of laptops while they are in your possession, and may install any app you need.
- However, do not install applications that require a restart to take effect because all data, applications, etc., will be deleted when the laptop is shut down or restarted!
- Everything you install or download to an iPad stays on the iPad until you return it to SCS.
- Please remove your Apple iCloud account and passcode before returning the iPad. The iPad will not be checked in if it is locked with a passcode.
NOTE: Using your Apple ID on SCS devices will use up one of the 10 "associated devices" that Apple allows you sign in to at one time. Refer to Apple's "Terms and Conditions" for more details.
- It is expected that these devices will leave the library, but they must be returned on time.
- Devices must be returned to SCS before their due date and time.
- Late fees are charged per day or any fraction thereof. Fines will accrue every day until the device is returned.
- Fines accrue for a maximum of two weeks, at which point the item is considered lost and the full replacement value as well as all late charges are applied to your account.
- Laptops and Tablets: $25 per day
- Accessories: $10 per day
Maximum Replacement Fees:
- Windows laptop or MacBook Pro: $900
- iPad: $900
- Laptop battery: $120
- Headphones: $69
- Mouse: $20
- Power adapter, PC laptop: $40
- Power adapter, MacBook Pro: $80
- Power adapter, iPad: $40
- USB cable for iPad: $20
- iPad Smart Cover: $45
- Bluetooth wireless Keyboard for iPad: $75
- Soft Carry Case for iPad: $35
- Standard Damage Cost for Laptops/iPads: $250
Charges will be applied to the borrower's library account. SCS borrowing privileges will be suspended until those fines are paid. The University may initiate collections efforts if fines are unpaid for an extended period of time.
DO NOT leave a MacBook Pro, Windows laptop or iPad unattended for any length of time. If you must leave the area, no matter how briefly, take the device with you. You are responsible if someone else steals the device when it is unattended. This includes, but is not limited to, leaving items in cars, dorm rooms, study rooms, or classrooms.
In an emergency, if you are instructed to leave the building, take the device with you and return it later.
The borrower agrees to comply with all applicable SJSU and King Library policies regarding acceptable computer use. Please refer to the Library's "Policies and Procedures" for details.