To borrow any library materials, you will need a Library Card, your PIN, and your Library Account must be in good standing. Most library materials can be checked out for three weeks and renewed up to three times (provided there are no holds placed on them). See Borrow Materials for more specific information on borrowing items from the library.
You may renew your Library checkouts a number of ways:
- Log in to your online Library Account, view the items you have currently checked out, and choose RENEW ALL or RENEW SELECTED ITEMS
- Call the Telephone Renewal System at 408-808-2665 any time
- Call Access Services at 408-808-2000 during regular hours
- Visit an Accounts Desk in person at any Library location
To see how many times you may renew a type of Library item, view your category on the Borrow Materials page.
You may renew any Library item unless:
- someone else has made a hold request on it
- you have already renewed it the maximum number of times
- it is part of Course Reserves
- it is a Link+ or Interlibrary Loan item and the lending library doesn't allow it
You may return most items borrowed from the Library to any of its locations — the exception is SJSU Course Reserves (see below).
- The borrower is responsible for late fees and loss or damage charges resulting from improper returns.
- Items returned after the Library has closed are considered returned on the next open day.
- Outside book drops are open after closing at all Library locations.
- SJSU Course Reserves (aka Academic Reserves) items are checked out at King Library and must be returned to the King Library Academic Reserves Desk.
- For more information about borrowing Course Reserves items, see Course Reserves.
- You can return to San José Library items you have borrowed from other library systems (such as Santa Clara County or Sunnyvale), but we advise against it.
- We will return the items to their home library, but you are responsible for them until they reach that library.
- Your items are not considered returned until they are checked in at their home library, which may be several days after you drop them here.