To borrow library materials, you will need your Tower ID card. There are no limits on the number of items SJSU borrowers can check out. Loan periods are as follows:
- Undergraduate students: 16 weeks from date of checkout, no renewals
- Graduate students: 16 weeks from date of checkout, 5 renewals
- Faculty & Staff: 1 year from date of checkout, 10 renewals
- San Jose Public Library patrons: 3 weeks from date of checkout, 3 renewals
CSU+ is a resource-sharing system through which current students, faculty, and staff can request items from all 23 CSU campus libraries and have them delivered to their home campus within 2-5 days. Requests will be made directly in the item record in OneSearch, but you must be logged in to your account see this option. Only SJSU patrons are eligible to use CSU+. Loan periods are as follows:
- CSU+ books: 60 days, no renewals
- CSU+ media: 30 days, no renewals
All California State University libraries offer walk-in privileges to current SJSU students, staff, and faculty. SJSU patrons may check out books at other CSU libraries using their Tower card. Books and media can be checked out for 30 days without renewal.
Distance students who would like to take advantage of this program can request a Tower card from the Bursar's Office: email@example.com. Bring a photo ID and your Tower card to check out books at another CSU.
Use Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) to request items such as books, articles (print or electronic), and dissertations from libraries worldwide.
Interlibrary Loan does not fill requests for:
- Items already owned by the SJSU Library
- Items on Course Reserves for SJSU students
- Exceptions for Distance Students
If you have requested items from either the SJSU Library collection or CSU+, you will receive an e-mail when they are available to be picked up. You can pick items up from the SJSU Services Desk on the ground floor. Items will be kept on the hold shelf for 10 business days after which the request will be cancelled and the item sent back to its shelf. Patrons may place the item on hold again via OneSearch, if desired.
There are separate self-check machines for SJPL and SJSU materials on the ground floor at King Library.
To renew an item, sign in to your account, select the item you want to renew under Loans, and click Renew.
Items borrowed from either the SJSU Library or through CSU+/Interlibrary Loan must be returned to the King Library.
- The borrower is responsible for loss or damage charges resulting from improper returns.
- Items returned after the Library has closed are considered returned on the next open day.
- Outside book drops are open after closing at all Library locations.
- SJSU Course Reserves and CSU+/Interlibrary Loan items must be returned to the King Library Academic Reserves Desk, not to the outside book drops.
- For more information about borrowing Course Reserves items, see Course Reserves.
There are no daily fines for SJSU general materials, but they will be considered lost at 14 days overdue and you will be billed the replacement cost of $110 per item. We do not accept physical replacements for lost materials. No refunds will be given after an item is paid for, including instances where an item has been found after it has been paid.
Late fees for Course Reserves:
- Hourly checkouts: $1 per hour, $20 maximum fine
- Daily checkouts: $5 per day, $20 maximum fine
Fines must be paid online; no cash or checks will be accepted.
There are no daily fines for materials borrowed through CSU+, but they will be considered lost at 14 days overdue and you will be billed the replacement cost of $90 per item. Fines must be paid online; no cash or checks will be accepted.