During COVID-19: To borrow print books, you'll need to log in to OneSearch and use the Request this item link. You can request up to five items. There is a 4-10 day waiting period due to required quarantine periods. Items will be put into lockers on Fridays, and can be picked between Saturday and the following Thursday.
You will receive an email with a barcode and pickup code for your items from firstname.lastname@example.org. You cannot retrieve items from the lockers without this information, so have it ready on your phone or printed out when you arrive. You will scan the barcode or enter your pickup code on the keypad to open your locker. Access lockers through the campus-side entrance of the library, just inside the first set of sliding doors. Locker units will be on your left.
The due date for all University Library items is January 2021. Books can be returned to the book drop outside the library on Fourth Street.
Lockers hours are:
Monday – Thursday: 9am–7pm
Help with locker pickup is available during locker hours by texting (408) 539-8772
- Items put into lockers on November 20 will be available until December 4
- Items requested from November 16 to 23 will be available on November 28
- The last day to request an item for 2020 is December 6. Those items will be available December 12 to 23
- The last day items will be available in 2020 is December 23
- Items requested from December 7 to January 3 will be available January 9, 2021
Due to building restrictions, San José Public Library patrons are not able to request items for locker pickup at this time.
COVID-19 Note: Materials from participating CSU campuses are now available by request through CSU+. Due to staffing at other CSU libraries, transit times, and required quarantine periods, please be aware that it will take longer than usual to receive requested materials.
CSU+ is a resource-sharing system through which current students, faculty, and staff can request items from all 23 CSU campus libraries and have them delivered to their home campus within 2-5 days. Requests will be made directly in the item record in OneSearch, but you must be logged in to your account see this option. Only SJSU patrons are eligible to use CSU+. Loan periods are as follows:
- CSU+ books: 60 days, no renewals
- CSU+ media: 30 days, no renewals
Note: Other CSU libraries may not be open due to COVID-19.
All California State University libraries offer walk-in privileges to current SJSU students, staff, and faculty. SJSU patrons may check out books at other CSU libraries using their Tower card. Books and media can be checked out for 30 days without renewal.
Distance students who would like to take advantage of this program can request a Tower card from the Bursar's Office: email@example.com. Bring a photo ID and your Tower card to check out books at another CSU.
Interlibrary Loan is unavailable until further notice.
Use Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) to request items such as books, articles (print or electronic), and dissertations from libraries worldwide.
Interlibrary Loan does not fill requests for:
- Items already owned by the SJSU Library
- Items on Course Reserves for SJSU students
- Exceptions for Distance Students
There are separate self-check machines for SJPL and SJSU materials on the ground floor at King Library.
SJSU print items can be returned to the book drop outside the library on Fourth Street.
Late fees for regular print collections:
- All late fees accrued after March 16 will be waived for active SJSU users.
- For inactive users (students no longer enrolled or graduated, faculty and staff that have separated from the university) late fees accrued between March 16 and August 31 will be waived.
- Late fees accrued after August 31 for inactive users will remain on the patron account.
- Returned items may not be checked in immediately due to required quarantine periods. Late fees will not apply.
Late fees for Course Reserves:
- $5 per day will be charged for late course reserve items, up to $120.
- Fines must be paid online; no cash or checks will be accepted.
There are no daily fines for materials borrowed through CSU+, but they will be considered lost at 14 days overdue and you will be billed the replacement cost of $90 per item. Fines must be paid online; no cash or checks will be accepted.