The SJSU Library will begin accepting requests for print and other circulating materials from our collections beginning February 15, 2021. We will fill requests as safety and staffing allows, while keeping a close watch on county and state guidelines.
Book Request Policy
See Book Requests for information on how to request items.
- You can request up to 5 items at a time.
- There is a 4-10 day waiting period due to required quarantine periods.
- Items will be put into lockers on Monday, and can be picked between Tuesday and the following Sunday.
- Requesting is available only for current San Jose State faculty, staff, and students.
- Requesting is NOT available for materials located in Reference, Special Collections, or Course Reserve.
- The due date for all University Library items is June 15, 2021. Books can be returned to the book drop outside the library on Fourth Street. Late fees will not be incurred.
Lockers hours are:
Tuesday – Friday: 9am–6pm
Help with locker pickup is available during locker hours by texting (408) 539-8772
Due to building restrictions, San José Public Library patrons are not able to request items for locker pickup at this time.
COVID-19 Note: Due to staffing at other CSU libraries, transit times, and required quarantine periods, please be aware that it will take longer than usual to receive requested materials.
CSU+ is a resource-sharing system through which current students, faculty, and staff can request items from all 23 CSU campus libraries and have them delivered to their home campus within 2-5 days. Requests will be made directly in the item record in OneSearch, but you must be logged in to your account see this option. Only SJSU patrons are eligible to use CSU+. Loan periods are as follows:
- CSU+ books: 60 days, no renewals
- CSU+ media: 30 days, no renewals
Note: Other CSU libraries may not be open due to COVID-19.
All California State University libraries offer walk-in privileges to current SJSU students, staff, and faculty. SJSU patrons may check out books at other CSU libraries using their Tower card. Books and media can be checked out for 30 days without renewal.
Distance students who would like to take advantage of this program can request a Tower card from the Bursar's Office: firstname.lastname@example.org. Bring a photo ID and your Tower card to check out books at another CSU.
Interlibrary Loan is unavailable until further notice.
Use Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) to request items such as books, articles (print or electronic), and dissertations from libraries worldwide.
Interlibrary Loan does not fill requests for:
- Items already owned by the SJSU Library
- Items on Course Reserves for SJSU students
- Exceptions for Distance Students
There are separate self-check machines for SJPL and SJSU materials on the ground floor at King Library.
SJSU print items can be returned to the book drop outside the library on Fourth Street.
Late fees for regular print collections:
- All late fees accrued after March 16 will be waived for active SJSU users.
- For inactive users (students no longer enrolled or graduated, faculty and staff that have separated from the university) late fees accrued between March 16 and August 31 will be waived.
- Returned items may not be checked in immediately due to required quarantine periods. Late fees will not apply.
Late fees for Course Reserves:
- $5 per day will be charged for late course reserve items, up to $120.
- Fines must be paid online; no cash or checks will be accepted.
There are no daily fines for materials borrowed through CSU+, but they will be considered lost at 14 days overdue and you will be billed the replacement cost of $90 per item. Fines must be paid online; no cash or checks will be accepted.